Do you want to make the most of every minute of your exercise routine so you can lose weight and build muscle even more quickly and effectively? Well, there are several ways to enhance your workout, and they include taking steps before, during, and after your workout routine.
If you are ready to enhance your workout to become a fat burning furnace, check out the tips below to get started.
The Foundation: Always Start by Eating Right and Getting Enough Sleep
In order to truly enhance your workout, you must first focus on things you are doing when you are not working out. Eating a healthy diet and getting enough sleep are crucial to a good workout. There are also many supplements to enhance your workout routine, or to pick up slack if you are lacking nutrients or sleep. Of course there are things to incorporate into your fitness regimen to enhance your workout routine.
Improve Your Diet
When you think healthy diet, you are probably thinking a lot of cooking, foods that lack flavor, or inconvenience. Well it doesn’t have to be that way! When it comes to fruits, veggies, nuts, and seeds they are most nutrient in their raw form, and low in the glycemic index. If flavor is your concern there are an assortment of dips, seasonings, and condiments. Raw foods can be combined to make a great tuna fish salad, fruit salad, and some raw foods can be used in a potato salad (carrots, celery, sunflower seeds, or cucumber). Pre making a weeks worth of trail mix, fruit salad, or just plain salad makes eating convenient. Also, lean meats, turkey, chicken, or fish are imperative for a healthy diet and building muscle mass.
According to Muscle and Fitness, there are several ways that you can improve your diet to help enhance your workout routine’s effectiveness, particularly when it comes to getting lean:
- Increase your intake of vegetables, which are high in nutrients and low in calories. Eating more veggies can help you feel full sooner, so have them as a snack, as well as at mealtime. Aim to get at least five servings every day.
- Another way to feel full more quickly, and feel full for longer, is by increasing your intake of fiber (note: veggies are also high in fiber). Plus, fiber helps lower insulin levels. Aim to get high-fiber foods like oatmeal and beans into your daily diet.
- Reduce your intake of sugar and starchy carbohydrates. You can use simple carbs to help restore glycogen after a workout, but the rest of the day, don’t overdo it. Indulge in sweet flavors by consuming fresh fruits, and ditch sugary beverages. At the same time, avoid having starchy foods too often. These include rice, potatoes, and pasta, as a few examples. Aim to get three to five servings of starch daily.
Improve Your Sleep
Getting sleep is vital for the body’s optimal function, without it your workout is wasted. You can work twice as hard, but without sleep, you might as well have leisurely walked for 30 minutes. Without sleep you can eat healthy and your body will not be able to properly digest it.
The suggested amount of sleep is 7-9 hours of uninterrupted sleep. If you just so happen to sleep poorly, it isn’t the end of the world, adding certain supplements to your morning can help you power through the day. Supplements including B specific vitamins, cereal, soy, vitamin D, omega-3, and magnesium.
Take Supplements That Can Enhance Your Workout
Even when you eat healthy and sleep well, there are still supplements that help you make the best of your workout. There are some supplements that come before your workout to enhance your workout routine.
Those supplements come in drink or powder form, they are called whey protein (that can also come post workout as well), creatine, caffeine, and you can mix cocoa powder with these drinks for a little extra enhancement. Throughout the day casein powder has been shown to have many health benefits including enhancing workouts.
Speaking of supplements that can enhance your workout, and speaking of caffeine, did you know that drinking black coffee prior to your exercise routine could also be helpful? It’s true! Basically, it works like this: rather than using glucose, caffeine makes your body rely on fat to get the fuel it needs while you are exercising. The only problem is that, if you are consuming high-carb meals with your cup of coffee, you aren’t going to get the same effects from it. So, it’s best to drink anywhere from one to two cups of coffee within two hours of starting your workout. If you are going to have it with food, make sure it’s a meal that contains protein and healthy fat. Also, try to have it black by avoiding the sugar and cream that you’d typically add to your cup o’ joe.
Other Ways to Enhance Your Workout
After considering all the ways you can improve your workout when you aren’t working out, here are a few things to help you enhance your performance when you are going through your fitness routine.
- First, it has been proven that exercising outdoors not only enhances performance, but it has been linked to higher HGH levels, and a significant boost in your metabolism.
- When training focus on the muscle or muscle groups (compound exercises) that you are training.
- Additionally, varying your rep speed, changing the intensity of your workout, and using more force on your last reps can really make a difference of the quality of your workout.
- Using a hot tub daily enhances and gives you something to look forward to after your workout.
- It is important to stay hydrated before, during, and after your workout (and while you are using the hot tub).
- The order of your workout is important not only for enhancement but also for production of HGH. It’s best to lift first and do cardio last.
- Incorporating yoga or tai chi into your schedule increases flexibility, and allows your body not to get dependent on your routine.
In the end, tips and tricks to enhance your workout are helpful, but all is wasted without a good overall diet and enough sleep. Preventing your body from getting dependent on one routine is important for building more muscle mass, as well as enhancement. The best way to achieve that is to push your body strategically, using focus and force. Make sure that you don’t train too hard for too long. It is going to actually help you in the long run. Don’t forget to change things up a bit. Incorporate all of this and you’ll enhance your workout in a powerful and effective way.